Caesar Salad 101
Martha Stewart's Cooking School
For the Croutons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (1-pound) loaf country-style white bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the Salad
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 anchovy fillets, preferably salt-cured, rinsed if salted; or 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 2 (10-ounce) heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves discarded, inner leaves washed and dried
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat until the butter has melted. Add bread cubes, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Cook until golden. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Place the garlic, anchovy fillets, and salt in a large wooden salad bowl. Using two dinner forks, mash to form a paste. Using one fork, whisk in the lemon juice, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and egg yolk. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil and continue to whisk until emulsified. Add 1 cup grated cheese; set aside.
- Cut the lettuce into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces and add to the bowl along with the croutons, and toss well. If desired, garnish with additional cheese. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.