- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, chopped (juice reserved)
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale (1 pound), stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and season with salt. Cook vegetables, stirring, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high and add tomatoes and their juice. Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to caramelize, about 3 minutes.
- Add 7 cups water, potatoes, and beans, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes, then stir in kale.
- Cook, covered, until tender, about 2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Top with Parmesan.
Cook's NoteEnd Result
Toss a Parmesan rind into the broth while cooking. It will heighten the richness of the soup.