Charred Eggplant Dip
This smoky dip's flavors get stronger -- and better -- when it sits in the fridge for a couple of days. Try keeping it on hand to serve when friends drop by for a drink, or to add it to sandwiches.
Photography: Johnny Miller
Whole Living, September 2011
Yield Serves 6 (Makes 2 cups)
- 2 small eggplants, pricked
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Radishes, wax beans, or carrots, for dipping
- Broil eggplants on a rimmed baking sheet, turning occasionally, until soft and charred, about 20 minutes. When cool, remove skin and stems and mash flesh.
- Stir in garlic and lemon juice and season with salt and red pepper flakes. Drizzle with oil and serve with vegetables.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.