White-Bean-and-Tomato Casserole with Broccoli Rabe
You can make a double batch of roasted tomatoes early in the week (say, for this whole-wheat penne dinner) and save half for this recipe. With the tomatoes already prepared, the rest of the preparation will only take 15 minutes.
Photography: Raymond Hom
Martha Stewart Living, September 2010
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 4 thick slices rustic bread
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 bunch broccoli rabe (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Preheat broiler. Toss tomatoes and onion with 2 teaspoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the red-pepper flakes. Broil on a rimmed baking sheet until tomatoes are just starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes to a 9-inch square baking dish. Broil bread until golden, about 1 minute per side. Halve 1 garlic clove, and rub bread with a cut side. Thinly slice all garlic.
- Rinse broccoli rabe, leaving slightly wet. Toss with 2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, the garlic, and lemon juice. Broil until leaves begin to brown, about 1 minute. Turn with tongs. Broil, turning once, until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir beans and oregano into tomatoes. Dot with ricotta. Drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Broil until bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve over toast and with broccoli rabe on the side.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.