- <b>For the soup</b>
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/1050114/vegetable-stock)
- 1 1/2 cups yellow lentils (12 ounces), rinsed well
- Coarse salt
- <b>For the chutney</b>
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- Make the soup: Heat oil and coriander seeds in a medium saucepan over high heat for 1 minute. Add stock and lentils. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer gently, partially covered, until lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt.
- Meanwhile, make the chutney: Pulse cilantro, lime juice, oil, and ginger in a food processor until cilantro is finely chopped. Serve soup topped with chutney.
This soup is thick enough to scoop up with papadums (Indian crackers), celery sticks, or cucumber spears.