Ginger-Braised Red Cabbage
Whole Living, March 2011
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head red cabbage (about 2 1/2 lb.), cut into 8 wedges, core intact
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a heavy ovenproof saucepan, heat oil. Cook shallot and ginger over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar and brown sugar. Stir in chicken stock, water, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage.
- Bring to a boil. Cover; transfer to oven and braise until cabbage is tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove cabbage with a slotted spoon and place on a serving platter; discard bay leaf. Simmer remaining liquid over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over cabbage.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.