- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 green mango, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grill grates
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 thin chicken cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
- 24 small leaves Bibb lettuce, from about 3 heads (3 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a medium bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt until sugar is dissolved. Add carrot and mango; toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate up to a day.
- Heat grill or grill pan to high; lightly oil grates. In a shallow dish, combine lime juice, ginger, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add chicken and let marinate for no more than 5 minutes. Grill chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate to cool.
- Thinly slice chicken; toss with carrot mixture. Divide mixture among lettuce leaves; drizzle with juice from carrots and sprinkle with cilantro.
If you can't locate a green (unripe) mango, pick a firm one. To store, refrigerate carrot and mango mixture, grilled chicken (unsliced), and cleaned lettuce leaves, separately, up to a day.