- 1 small pumpkin (such as sugar)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut pumpkin in half; scrape out seeds.
- Drizzle pumpkin with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. (Omit pepper if using in sweet dishes.)
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast until very soft, about 35 to 45 minutes.
Need a shortcut? Try this quick fix: Place a pumpkin half, cut side down, on a plate and microwave it on high for about 15 minutes, checking occasionally. (Time will vary with size.) You'll have sweet, softened flesh in a third of the time.