Soba with Salmon and Watercress
This cold noodle dish was inspired by the taste of buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon and creme fraiche.
Body+Soul, June 2010
- 6 ounces salmon fillet, skin removed
- 8 ounces soba noodles or other flavored pasta
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups watercress
- In a straight-sided skillet over medium-low heat, bring 2 inches of water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Gently place salmon in water. Poach at a low simmer until cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove and let cool; flake into large pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add soba and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, toss soba with buttermilk, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Add watercress and salmon, and gently combine. Serve or refrigerate until ready to eat.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.