Sauteed spinach gives this classic basil pesto a wintery feel. Hazelnuts bring out the basil's sweet side, and freshly grated Pecorino adds a savory tang that Parmesan can't match. This blend will wake up any sleepy omelet.
Whole Living, March 2012
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until tender, but not browned, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted and bright green, about 1 minute.
- Remove spinach from pan using a slotted spoon and let cool slightly. Squeeze out excess moisture from spinach, then pulse with basil, hazelnuts, Pecorino, and 2 tablespoons oil in a food processor until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.