Caramelized Onion Jam
Whole Living, October 2011
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water (or low-sodium chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Coarse salt
- In a medium pot, heat oil over
medium heat and cook onions,
covered, stirring occasionally until
translucent, about 15 minutes.
Add water, vinegar, and sugar
and cook uncovered, stirring, until
onions are caramelized, about
30 minutes more. Season with
salt. Let cool completely.
Onion jam can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.