Fettuccine Alfredo with Cauliflower and Peas
Photography: Anson Smart
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds cauliflower, cored and broken into florets, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce), divided
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3/4 pounds fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a medium pot, bring milk and broth to a rapid simmer. Add cauliflower and cook, covered, until just tender, 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer 3 cups cauliflower to a bowl. Cook remaining cauliflower (4 cups), covered, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Transfer soft cauliflower to a blender with 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth; pulse in heavy cream.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water. Drain and return pasta to pot. Stir in butter, cauliflower puree and florets, and peas. Add pasta water if necessary to create a creamy sauce that coats the pasta. Season with salt and pepper and serve with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.