Photography: MARIA ROBLEDO
Martha Stewart Living, December 2013
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 45 minutes
Yield Makes 4 loaves
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups molasses
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 ounces candied ginger slices, finely chopped (a scant 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place four 4 1/2-by-7-inch parchment-lined Panibois (wooden) baking pans or buttered 3 3/4-by-6 1/2-inch loaf pans on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla and molasses in a slow stream. Reduce speed to medium-low and gradually add buttermilk, beating until incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until incorporated.
- Divide batter among pans and spread evenly. Sprinkle with candied ginger.
- Bake, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer loaves to a wire rack. If using loaf pans, unmold after 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.