Baked Fish and Chips
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Martha Stewart Living, December 2013
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 russet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds total), cut into very thin slices with a handheld slicer
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups panko
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless cod fillet, cut into 1-inch-thick strips
- Lemon and cucumber wedges, malt vinegar, ketchup, and flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Soak potatoes in warm water 5 minutes; drain and dry thoroughly. Toss with oil and rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake on top rack 20 minutes. Meanwhile, toast panko on another rimmed baking sheet on bottom rack until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wide dish. Place flour in another dish; season with salt and pepper. Whisk eggs in a third dish. Season fish with salt; coat in flour, then eggs, then panko. Transfer, narrow side down, to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Flip potatoes; transfer to lower rack. Place fish on upper rack; bake until fish is just cooked through and potatoes are crisp and golden brown in places, 16 to 18 minutes. Serve with lemon and cucumber wedges, vinegar, ketchup, and salt.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.