Use our holiday cookie templates or your own cookie cutters to create a variety of festive shapes. Also see our step-by-step directions for decorating the Little Girl Cookies.
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Martha Stewart Living, December 2013
- Prep Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours
Yield Makes about 1 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Beat together butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture until combined. Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm but still pliable, at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Transfer half of dough to a lightly floured piece of parchment; roll to just under 1/4-inch thick. Transfer dough on parchment to a baking sheet and freeze until firm, 30 minutes. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Using a craft knife and the template (or a cookie cutter), cut out cookies and space 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake until golden on edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
The cookies can be stored at room temperature up to one week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.