Chocolate Gingerbread Twigs
The twigs can be made up to three days ahead and stored in a cool place.
Photography: ANITA CALERO
Martha Stewart Living, December 2013
- Prep Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours 40 minutes
Yield Makes about 80 cookies
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Melt bittersweet chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth; remove from heat. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat together butter and brown sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and molasses and beat until smooth. Beat in bittersweet chocolate, then flour mixture, until combined. Divide dough in half; form each half into a rectangle and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm but still pliable, about 30 minutes. Dough can be made 3 days ahead and stored in refrigerator, or frozen up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out each piece of dough to a rectangle 1/8-inch thick, with 1 side roughly 12 inches long, on a lightly floured piece of parchment. Transfer rectangles on parchment to baking sheets and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into 1/4-to-1/2-inch-wide irregular strips, each about 12 inches long. Separate strips on parchment-lined baking sheets and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Bake until slightly darker around edges, about 12 minutes. Let twigs cool completely on baking sheets.
- Melt white chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Paint chocolate along length of each twig with a pastry brush to create a faux-bois look. Refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 15 minutes. Twigs can be made 3 days ahead and stored in a cool place.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.