Photography: Romulo Yanes
Everyday Food, December 2013
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes + cooling
Yield Makes about 3 dozen
- 2 1/4 cups flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for work surface
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup jam (apricot, blackberry, or raspberry)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a food processor, pulse almond paste and sugar until smooth. Add butter and eggs and blend until smooth. Add flour mixture and pulse until dough forms. Divide into 4 equal pieces, wrap in plastic, and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface roll each piece into a 10-inch log. Transfer logs to two parchment-lined baking sheets and flatten to about 2 inches across. Bake until just dry, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; with the handle of a wooden spoon, make a trench down each log. Spread 2 tablespoons jam into each trench. Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over logs. Let glaze harden, 20 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut logs on the diagonal into 1-inch slices. (Store in airtight containers, up to 1 week.)
This dough can be prepped and frozen up to a week in advance. Just thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.