Chocolate Tuile Ice Cream Cones
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add flour and cocoa and mix to combine. Gradually beat in egg whites and continue to beat for 4 minutes.
- Trace a 5-inch circle onto a large, flexible plastic lid or cutting mat. Using scissors, cut lip from lid. With a utility knife, cut out circle to make a stencil.
- Place stencil on a baking sheet. Using a small offset spatula, spread a thin layer of batter over stencil; carefully lift up stencil. Transfer to oven and bake for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a spatula, roll circles around a wooden reamer to form a cone; let cool completely. Repeat process to make 16 cones.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.