Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pear, Sage and Browned Butter
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) <i>Del Monte® Sliced Pears in Heavy Syrup</i> or (15 ounces) <i>Del Monte Lite® Sliced Pears</i>, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Scrub sweet potatoes thoroughly and prick with a fork. Bake 40 to 60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for browned butter, melt butter over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove pan from heat.
- Carefully cut potatoes in halves and scoop out pulp. Mash to desired consistency in a large mixing bowl. Stir mashed potatoes, pears and sage into butter in saucepan. Cook and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.