Olive-Oil Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Sage
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Martha Stewart Living, November 2013
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk, plus more for thinning, if needed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- Coarse salt
- Bring milk, oil, butter, and sage to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and set aside. Cover potatoes and garlic with 2 inches cold water in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 13 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Pour milk mixture through a fine sieve over potatoes; discard solids. Mash potato mixture with a potato masher to combine. Season with salt. Mashed potatoes can be made 3 days ahead and stored in refrigerator. Reheat in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water, thinning with more milk if necessary.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.