Use the neck and heart that come inside the turkey, and augment them with turkey wings from your butcher, if desired. You can also make this stock well in advance of the holiday by using just turkey wings; let it cool completely after straining, then freeze up to three months.
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Martha Stewart Living, November 2013
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Yield Makes about 5 cups
- Neck and heart from a 14-pound turkey, and/or 1 pound turkey wings
- 10 cups cold water
- 1 carrot, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- Small handful of flat-leaf parsley sprigs and stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming froth off top occasionally, until reduced by half, about 1 hour. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.