Mixed-Bean Soup with Andouille and Celery
Martha Stewart Living, November 2013
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 6
Yield Makes 10 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced, and washed well (about 4 1/2 cups)
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces andouille or other smoked sausage, cut on the bias into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (about 15 ounces each) beans, such as cannellini, roman, and black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup), plus celery leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and red-pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper. Cook until leeks are softened, about 6 minutes. Add sausage and thyme; cook until sausage is golden brown in places, about 5 minutes more.
- Add broth and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are heated through and creamy, about 10 minutes. Add celery and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove thyme; season with salt and pepper. Divide soup among 4 bowls and garnish with celery leaves.
Soup can be made 3 days ahead and stored in refrigerator.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.