Glazed Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
Photography: Mike Krautter
Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
For the Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (from 4 large lemons)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (9 ounces)
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 4 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees with rack in center of oven. Generously spray a nonstick 10-inch (14-cup) Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scraping down sides of bowl. Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Whisk together 3 cups flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Toss blueberries with remaining tablespoon flour to coat. Gently fold blueberries into batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a tester or wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, and the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 1 1/4 hours. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, lemon juice, and zest until smooth; set aside.
- Invert the cake onto a rack. Prick the surface all over with a wooden skewer. Brush the glaze over the surface of the cake and let cool completely. Store wrapped well in plastic wrap for up to 2 days at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.