Pumpkin, Sage, and Browned-Butter Cakes
Photography: YunHee Kim
Martha Stewart Living, November 2009
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, cut into thin strips, plus whole leaves for garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter eight 4-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add sage strips; cook until butter turns golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl; let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, and sage-butter mixture. Add flour mixture; whisk until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans; smooth tops with an offset spatula. Place pans on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto rack to cool completely. (Cakes can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature overnight or refrigerated up to 5 days.) Garnish with whole sage leaves before serving, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.