Banana Icebox Pie
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour plus minutes plus freezing
- Serves 8
- 6 ounces vanilla wafers
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 5 large ripe bananas, divided
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse cookies until finely ground (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). Add butter and a scant 1/4 teaspoon salt and pulse until combined. Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until crust is dry and set, about 12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
- In a large bowl, mash 2 bananas until smooth. Stir in condensed milk, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form, 3 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold whipped cream into banana mixture. Transfer to crust, cover with plastic, and freeze until firm, at least 12 hours.
- Cut remaining 2 bananas lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Layer banana slices on top of pie. Just before serving, sprinkle sugar evenly over bananas. Use a kitchen torch to caramelize sugar. Return pie to freezer for a few minutes if becomes too soft.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.