Spiked Fruit Cup
This decidedly adult snack puts the "cocktail" back into fruit cocktail. The mix of ripe fruit and alcohol reminds us of sangria -- but eaten with a spoon.
Photography: Jen Causey
Martha Stewart Living, September 2013
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours
- Serves 6
- 4 cups fruit, sliced or pitted if necessary
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 sprigs basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 1/2 cup white rum, gin, or cachaca
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, grapes, pears, and plums in a large bowl. Toss with sugar and basil sprigs.
- Stir in alcohol to cover fruit. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours, stirring a few times.
- To serve, remove basil sprigs, stir in lime juice, and garnish with basil leaves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.