Pickled Green Strawberries
Ask for green, or unripe, strawberries at your local farm stand or farmers' market. Serve with a selection of Nordic cheeses and rye crackers.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2013
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 12 hours 15 minutes
Yield Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups green (unripe) strawberries, washed
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Clean and dry a jar big enough to hold strawberries (at least 2 1/2 cups in capacity). Fill jar with strawberries, then add peppercorns, bay leaves, caraway seeds, and yellow mustard seeds.
- Simmer vinegars, water, honey, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until honey and salt are dissolved, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely. Pour mixture over strawberries to cover completely. Seal jar and give it a few gentle shakes. Refrigerate at least 12 hours, and serve within 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.