- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup pitted mixed olives, such as Kalamata and Cerignola
- 2 pepperoncini, stemmed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 4 small tomatoes (1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, patted dry
- 1 (8-inch) round loaf rustic bread, split horizontally and hollowed out
- In a colander, toss eggplant with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse olives, pepperoncini, and parsley until very finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in mayonnaise.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Toss eggplant, tomatoes, and zucchini with oil and season with salt. Grill, turning frequently, until tender and slightly charred, about 4 minutes for tomatoes and about 7 minutes each for eggplant and zucchini.
- Spread bread with olive mixture. Assemble sandwich with peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. Serve immediately or wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
One for All
A sandwich built on a single loaf makes fun party food. Use a good serrated knife to ensure clean slices.