Caramelized Peach Ice Cream
Photography: Naho Kubota
Martha Stewart Living, July 2013
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 4 hours
Yield Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 pound ripe peaches (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Vanilla-Custard Ice Cream Base
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, lightly score bottom of each peach with an X, using a paring knife. Add peaches to boiling water and blanch until skin is pulling away, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle, peel and pit peaches. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Combine peaches and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until just caramelized and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely. (You should have about 1 1/4 cups.)
- Chill a loaf pan in freezer at least 10 minutes. Freeze and churn custard base in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Add peaches at end of churning and churn 5 more minutes; transfer to pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until hardened, at least 2 hours; ice cream can be frozen up to 2 weeks ahead.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.