Sour-Cherry and Lemon-Verbena Sherbet
Photography: Naho Kubota
Martha Stewart Living, July 2013
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours 50 minutes
Yield Makes about 1 quart
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh lemon-verbena leaves
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh or thawed frozen sour cherries, pitted (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup whole milk
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add lemon verbena. Let steep 15 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve set over a bowl; discard solids. Refrigerate syrup until cold, about 15 minutes.
- Puree cherries and lemon-verbena syrup in a blender until smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in milk. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
- Chill a loaf pan in freezer at least 10 minutes. Freeze and churn cherry mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions, then transfer to pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until hardened, at least 2 hours; sherbet can be frozen up to 2 weeks ahead.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.