1 of 9
Happily Ever Rafter
By Catherine Hong
One great space for relaxing, eating, and entertaining is at the heart of a Bay Area family's rustic-modern home.
The white-oak beams and floor add both warmth and a measure of sound absorption, which are important in a big, high-ceilinged room. The beams, flooring, and hearth are all made of reclaimed wood from a barn in Minnesota.
2 of 9
Kara's a pastry chef, and her rolling bun rack is a go-to. One cabinet is a "garage" for parking the cart out of sight.
Try retrofitting an existing cabinet by cutting away the kick and interior shelves, or by purchasing a rolling cabinet cart.
3 of 9
The Big Island
The island top has no sink -- "I wanted the entire surface for work and for my kids to do homework on," says Kara. Underneath is a bounty of storage.
Achieve the same by fashioning an island from Metro shelving and a butcher-block top.
4 of 9
The family needed storage for tableware but didn't want to sacrifice natural light. So shelves were built around two windows (which now resemble portholes).
Copy this look with some careful measuring and store-bought shelves in various sizes.
5 of 9
Appliances that scream "Kitchen!" -- coffeemaker, microwave, fridge -- live in the pantry.
Devoting a closet to that kind of hidden storage could give you the option of removing upper cabinets, so the streamlined look blends into the living space.
6 of 9
The large subway tiles over the counters mirror the scale of the wide-plank floors.
Hampton Carrara polished tiles, 4" by 12", $14 each, tileshop.com
7 of 9
Chalkboard paint on the pantry wall lets the family jot down grocery lists and recipes.
Chalkboard paint, by Rust-Oleum, $13 for 1 qt., homedepot.com
8 of 9
With a stainless-steel top, this piece is stylish and nearly indestructible.
Rustic kitchen island, $599, westelmmarket.com
9 of 9
Swing-arm sconces mounted above the shelving spotlight their tableware collection.
Boston Functional Library wall light, $336, circalighting.com
You Just Viewed
A Room for EverythingReplay
- Decorate with Brass
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- The Barest Simmer
- A Blueprint for Color