1 of 5
Clean PlateJune's power foods -- blueberries, raw almonds, red bell peppers, and spinach -- lead to standout dishes that will kick-start a summer of healthy eating.
2 of 5
The phytonutrients in blueberries may reduce belly fat, decreasing the risk of heart disease and diabetes, says Roxanne Sukol, M.D., of Cleveland Clinic's Wellness Institute.
The slightly nutty flavor of these blueberry muffins comes from coconut oil.Get the Hearty Blueberry Muffins Recipe
3 of 5
With prebiotic properties that increase the beneficial bacteria in our digestive systems, almonds can improve digestive health. And they're a great source of fiber if you're limiting your consumption of wheat products.
A dairy-free frappe gets a smooth, sophisticated richness from homemade almond milk and butter. They don't contain the additives in many commercial brands.Get the Almond Cinnamon Frappe Recipe
4 of 5
Bright-red peppers contain higher levels of vitamin A and beta-carotene than their green and yellow brethren. "To maximize nutrient absorption, eat them with a healthy fat, like olive oil or sliced avocado," advises Sukol.
We love our greens, but in this salad they are more of an accent to the tender white beans and sweet, meaty roasted red peppers.Get the Roasted Red-Pepper Salad with Anchovy White Beans Recipe
5 of 5
Its vitamin K, calcium, and magnesium make spinach a winner when it comes to bone health. Recent research shows that its glycoglycerolipids may help protect the digestive tract from inflammatory damage.
In this vegetarian main course, the lushness of spinach and feta is set off by a crisp, easy-to-make crust. You'll want it in your repertoire year-round.Get the Spinach Tart with Olive-Oil Cracker Crust Recipe
You'll Also Love
You Just Viewed
- Decorate with Brass
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- The Barest Simmer
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- A Blueprint for Color
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter