Leftover Salade Nicoise
The idea behind this beautiful and delicious salad is to use up all the remnants left in your refrigerator from the weekend's meals. Hard-boiled eggs, along with anchovies and olives, bring the salad closer to its origin in the south of France.
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces green beans, steamed until tender, cooled under cold water, and patted dry
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound tiny new potatoes, boiled until tender
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or cooked corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 pound tomatoes (about 2 1/2 medium), cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 large endive (about 6 ounces), cut into thin strips lengthwise
- Leftover Cedar-Planked Salmon, cold or room temperature, flaked into large pieces
- Leftover Grilled Herbed Shrimp, cold or room temperature
- 4 links fresh chorizo or other sausage, halved lengthwise and grilled
- Tender lettuce leaves
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled, halved, and salted
- Anchovy fillets packed in olive oil, for serving
- Olives, for serving
Combine shallot, vinegar, and 2 teaspoons oil in a bowl. Add green beans and toss well. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Combine potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, and dill and toss well. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Combine corn, 1 tablespoon oil, and cheese and toss well. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add basil and cook 30 seconds. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Squeeze basil dry, then transfer to a small food processor or mortar and pestle. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth. Toss basil oil with tomatoes and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Arrange endive, salmon, shrimp, sausage, lettuce, eggs, and basil leaves on a platter. Add dressed green beans, potatoes, corn, and tomatoes. Serve with anchovies and olives.