Under 30 Minutes
Corn and Scallion Chilaquiles
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or unsalted butter
- 6 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno chile (from 1/2 jalapeno)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or leftover grilled corn kernels (from 3 to 4 ears)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 12 large eggs
- 3 cups broken tortilla chips, plus whole chips for serving
- 2 1/2 ounces cotija or any cheese, crumbled into large pieces or grated (about 1/2 cup; optional)
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Avocado slices, for serving
- Cherry tomatoes, for serving
Preheat broiler with rack in top third of oven. Melt bacon fat in a large skillet over mediumhigh heat. Add scallions and chile and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add corn and salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Whisk together eggs in a large bowl and stir in chips. Add to skillet with corn and cook, stirring, until bottom starts to set but is still wet, about 1 minute. Stir and transfer to a broiler-proof 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish; broil until eggs are set, about 2 minutes. Scatter cheese on top and let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with chips (tuck some into the top), avocado, and tomatoes.