Roasted Golden-Beet, Avocado, and Watercress Salad
- 1 bunch (about 12 ounces) baby golden beets, trimmed and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch (about 4 ounces) watercress, trimmed and large sprigs torn into 3-inch pieces
- 2 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 ounce soft-ripened goat cheese, such as Humboldt Fog, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place beets on parchment-lined foil; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold parchment and foil into a packet and tightly seal; roast until beets are tender, about 30 minutes. Carefully open packet and let cool. Remove skins from beets and cut into wedges.
Combine beets, watercress, radishes, avocado, and chives in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk together vinegar and remaining tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad, gently toss, and top with goat cheese.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2013