Healthy Farro Salad with Oven-Roasted Grapes and Autumn Greens
- Servings: 10
Photography: DAVID M. RUSSELL
- 8 ounces farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups seedless red grapes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small red onions, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more for seasoning
- 4 cups mixed small greens such as baby kale, baby Swiss chard, red mustard, and red mizuna
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a rack in the upper and lower thirds.
In a medium saucepan, combine farro and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, combine grapes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper on a baking sheet. Place red onion slices on a separate baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Flip slices and drizzle with another tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer baking sheet with onions on the bottom rack of oven and baking sheet with grapes to top rack. Roast, flipping onions every 15 minutes, until onions are golden brown and grapes have burst, about 45 minutes.
Transfer roasted grapes and onions to bowl with farro. Toss with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss well to combine and let cool, about 20 minutes.
Immediately before serving, gently toss in greens. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar. Transfer to a platter, top with goat cheese, if desired, and serve.