Cranberry Bean, Dandelion Green, and Toasted-Cornbread Salad
For this salad, you can either make your own cornbread or use store-bought. You can also skip step 1 and substitute your favorite already-cooked white beans for the cranberry beans.
- 1 pound fresh cranberry beans, shelled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 ounces cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces dandelion greens, trimmed and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup small fresh basil leaves
Place beans in a medium pot and cover with 4 inches of water. Season generously with salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer beans until very tender, about 40 minutes; drain. Beans can be stored in refrigerator, in cooking liquid just to cover, up to 3 days; cool completely before refrigerating.
Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Spread cornbread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until just golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk together vinegar, garlic, honey, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Combine greens, beans, cheese, and basil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with dressing and toss with cornbread.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2013