Cucumber and Coconut Salad
Soaking the onions makes for a milder flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: chris court
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 Persian cucumbers or 1 English cucumber, cut into thirds crosswise (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup unsweetened large-flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, plus more for seasoning
- Coarse salt
Place onion in a bowl of ice water. Let onion stand 10 minutes, then drain.
Thinly slice cucumbers lengthwise with a handheld slicer or peeler and place in a large bowl. Add onion and coconut and gently toss to combine. Add coconut water, lime juice, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and gently toss again to combine. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours. Before serving, season with salt and sugar.