Hearty Blueberry Muffins
The slightly nutty flavor of these blueberry muffins comes from coconut oil.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2013
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, melted, or safflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces fresh blueberries (about 1 1/2 cups)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, yogurt, oil, and eggs in another large bowl. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and gently mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries with a rubber spatula.
Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely.