Puff Pastry Tarts
Macerating the fruit in a bit of sugar and acid (strawberries and balsamic vinegar are natural allies) helps draw out their natural juices and makes an ideal filling for pastry shells.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, May 2013
For the tart shells
- 1 17.5 ounce box puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Sugar, for sprinkling
For the filling
- 3 cups fruit (such as apricots, strawberries, cherries, or mango), sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 2 to 3 teaspoons citrus juice or balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unfold each sheet of puff pastry onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and cut each into 4 squares. With a paring knife, lightly score a border 3/4 inch from edges. Brush border with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Freeze 10 minutes. Bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Gently press center to flatten.
Meanwhile, combine fruit, sugar, citrus juice, and salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Fill shells with cream and top with fruit mixture. Serve immediately.