Bucatini with Breadcrumbs and Bottarga
- Servings: 4
Photography: DAVID M. RUSSELL
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
- 9 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound bucatini pasta
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup yellow raisins, chopped
- 2 teaspoons preserved lemon, rinsed, rind only, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus Parmesan shavings for serving
- 1 tablespoon grated bottarga, plus bottarga shavings, for serving
Finely chop 5 garlic cloves. In medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt boiling water and add pasta. Cook until still very firm, 5 to 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large high-sided skillet, heat remaining 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Crush remaining 4 garlic cloves and add to skillet along with capers and raisins; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add preserved lemon, chicken stock, lemon juice, butter, Aleppo pepper, and a pinch of salt.
Bring to a simmer and add pasta. Cook, stirring often, until the pasta is al dente, about 3 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in pine nuts, parsley, grated Parmesan, and bottarga.
Garnish with reserved breadcrumb mixture. Shave over parmesan and bottarga. Serve immediately.