Bucatini with Breadcrumbs and Bottarga
- 9 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound bucatini pasta
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup yellow raisins, chopped
- 2 teaspoons preserved lemon, rinsed, rind only, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus Parmesan shavings for serving
- 1 tablespoon grated bottarga, plus bottarga shavings, for serving
Finely chop 5 garlic cloves. In medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt boiling water and add pasta. Cook until still very firm, 5 to 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large high-sided skillet, heat remaining 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Crush remaining 4 garlic cloves and add to skillet along with capers and raisins; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add preserved lemon, chicken stock, lemon juice, butter, Aleppo pepper, and a pinch of salt.
Bring to a simmer and add pasta. Cook, stirring often, until the pasta is al dente, about 3 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in pine nuts, parsley, grated Parmesan, and bottarga.
Garnish with reserved breadcrumb mixture. Shave over parmesan and bottarga. Serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009