Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces slab bacon or pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish if desired
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and spaghetti, and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup cooking water; drain.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic, and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
Beat the egg yolks, heavy cream, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in a medium bowl until combined. Add drained hot pasta and pancetta to skillet, and pour the egg mixture over. If pasta seems dry, add enough of the reserved cooking water to moisten. Season liberally with black pepper.
Serve garnished with lemon zest, chopped parsley, and additional cheese, if desired.
SourceMartha Stewart's Cooking School