Creamy Chicken with Bacon and Corn
- 4 whole chicken legs, patted dry
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 head garlic, separated into unpeeled cloves
- 3/4 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 sprigs thyme, plus 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 ounces baby arugula (about 2 cups)
- Fresh lemon juice, for drizzling
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown chicken until golden. Transfer to a plate; discard fat. Add bacon; cook until crisp. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat. Add onion, garlic, and couscous; cook until couscous is golden, about 5 minutes.
Add milk and thyme sprigs; bring to a simmer. Add chicken, skin side up. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in corn and thyme leaves; cover and cook until liquid has almost evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Divide couscous and corn among 4 bowls. Top with chicken and arugula. Season with salt and pepper; drizzle with lemon juice and oil.