Lamb and Bulgur Stew with White Beans
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- 3/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced plum tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) gigante or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about 5 cups)
- 3 1/2 ounces feta cheese (about 2/3 cup), plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, plus more for garnish
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, lamb, bulgur, red-pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring to break up lamb, until lamb is cooked, about 5 minutes. Add paprika; stir until fragrant and toasted, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and water, bring to a simmer, and cover. Lower heat; gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until bulgur is tender, about 25 minutes.
Stir in beans, spinach, feta, and oregano; cook until feta is almost melted and beans are warmed through, about 2 minutes. Garnish with feta and oregano.