Steak and Asparagus Stir-Fry
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 2013
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
- 9 ounces skirt steak, cut with the grain into 4-inch-long pieces, then against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices, or New York strip steak, cut against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Coarse salt
- A 1 1/2-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 red Thai chiles or 1/2 jalapeno, minced, seeds and ribs included
- 1 1/2 bunches scallions, thinly sliced on the bias, white and green parts separated
- 1 1/2 bunches asparagus (about 1
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Lime wedges and dry-roasted peanuts, for serving
Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, swirl to coat, and add steak. Season with salt and sear, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining tablespoon oil to wok and swirl to coat. Add ginger, chiles, and scallion whites and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Return steak to wok, along with scallion greens. Toss to combine and heat through. Remove from heat and season with salt. Serve over rice with lime wedges for squeezing and peanuts.