Marinated Grilled Zucchini with Feta and Huckleberries
This salad of grilled zucchini, feta, and red huckleberries (which flourish from the Rocky Mountains west and north to Alaska) gets an intense flavor boost from a sprinkling of cilantro flowers. Cilantro and coriander are one and the same; in the United States, the leaves and stems are called cilantro, and the seeds coriander.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Richard Banks
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 2013
- 2 pounds small zucchini, halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium shallots (about 3 1/2 ounces), thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and coarsely ground, plus flowering fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh or thawed frozen red huckleberries, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 block sheep's-milk feta (6 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Place zucchini, cut side up, on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Season with 1 tablespoon salt, flip, and let stand until slightly softened and juices are released, about 1 1/2 hours. Gently squeeze zucchini, extracting as much liquid as possible, and pat dry.
Meanwhile, preheat grill over medium-high heat. Brush zucchini with 2 tablespoons oil and grill, flipping once, until lightly charred and tender, about 15 minutes total. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Distribute shallot-and-garlic mixture evenly over zucchini. Sprinkle with coriander seeds, huckleberries, and 1 teaspoon salt. Drizzle with vinegar and remaining cup oil. Marinate mixture at least 1 hour at room temperature or (preferably) up to 24 hours in refrigerator. If refrigerated, bring mixture to room temperature before serving.
Layer zucchini mixture and feta on a serving platter, drizzle with some marinade, and garnish with coriander sprigs and huckleberries.
Marinated grilled zucchini with feta is a strategically smart party dish. You can prepare it a day ahead, and it just keeps getting better as it sits in the refrigerator.