This is a great pickled "vegetable" to keep in the fridge for sandwiches and salads. The recipe can be halved if desired.Excerpted from "Mad Hungry Cravings" by Lucinda Scala Quinn, Artisan Books, March 2013.
- Yield: Makes 2 quarts
- 2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 head cauliflower, core removed and separated into florets
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered lengthwise and halved crosswise
- 2 serrano chiles sliced on the bias into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
Combine the vinegar, water, salt, sugar, bay leaf, cloves, and celery seeds in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid.