Tools & Materials
Large piece of heavy paper
10-sheet stack of lighter-weight, slightly smaller-size paper
A needle with a 36-inch length of waxed twine
- Fold a large piece of heavy paper in half with the grain to create cover. Fold a 10-sheet stack of lighter-weight, slightly smaller-size paper in half to form pages. Nest pages in cover. Use an awl to punch a hole at the midpoint of fold, then punch 2 more holes along the fold, halfway between midpoint and the end of the page.
- Thread a needle with a 36-inch length of waxed twine. Sew through center hole, starting from inside of book, leaving a 3-inch tail. Return through top hole, then exit through bottom hole, from inside of book outward. Finish by returning through center hole.
- Pull thread taut against fold. Knot on top of thread on interior seam. Clip ends, leaving 1-inch tails.
- Close book. Run a bone folder over just the holes on spine to smooth.
- Using a glue stick, affix stamps or other decorative elements to book cover. Press with bone folder to secure.