Thai Coconut Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
In this brothy dish, the chicken is partially covered by liquid and quick-braised on the stove top.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 5), cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut or safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 cup well-shaken coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups cooked rice (preferably sticky), for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, stirring occasionally, until opaque and golden brown in places, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, stir, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add fish sauce, coconut milk, and 1/2 cup pineapple; bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to low, and partially cover. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Divide chicken and sauce among serving bowls.
Stir together remaining pineapple, scallions, and chile in a bowl. Serve chicken with sticky rice and pineapple salsa.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 2013