Spicy Garlic Croutons
Crunchy homemade croutons add richness and texture to salads, soups, pasta -- or, in the case of our sweet croutons, ice cream, bitter greens, or a soft, ripe cheese.
Photography: Kate Mathis
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2013
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 smashed garlic cloves
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 4 cups of 3/4-inch-square bread cubes from a rustic loaf
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
Heat 3 tablespoons oil with garlic and red-pepper flakes in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread cubes and salt. Cook, stirring, until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.